[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Thank you Timothy Chow

Posted By: scotty
Date: Monday, 16 February 2015, at 11:50 p.m.

In Response To: Explanation of new XG rollout statistics (Timothy Chow)

http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=167649

I saved the above message from Timothy Chow, which was posted in October of 2014, in response to a question posted by Bill Calton. In part, he said,

"If you're just getting into the subject, then my recommendation would be to start by mastering the raw takepoint (or dead cube takepoint). This is fundamental. I'd say about half of the difference between money-game cubes and match-play cubes can be traced to the difference in raw take points.

The next step is to learn when the gammon price is higher or lower than usual.

I'd say that if you understood gammon prices and raw take points and were able to estimate gammons well OTB, then that would cover 90% of your match cubes. Adjustments for recube vig (i.e., anything more sophisticated than throwing in a few random percentage points for good luck) are only if you want to squeeze out the last 10%."

I will emphatically stress, for all those people, who, like me, are struggling to get a handle on match equity, and the theory behind the the doubling cube that this thread will shed light on the matter.

Thank you, Timothy, for your clarity of thought, and for communicating in such a manner, that I can organize my own thoughts. You have provided the intermediate player with a roadmap to understanding. Two weeks ago, I found your saved message in my 'backgammon' folder and started calculating raw take points, and actually memorized a MET up to 5a5a. I have yet to verify if my calculations are correct, and have also introduced myself to the concept of 'gammon price' through an online article written by Douglas Zare. And now, I have a much better understanding of the notion of cube revig. This discussion is very timely for me.

I'll add one more thought: I have been watching thousands of matches on GridGammon, played between expert players, and have found that my own use of the cube has improved dramatically over the past year. I'll tell you, it has become my own form of 'reality television', and it sure beats anything to be found on the tube. And, it has had practical benefits for my own game. If you see 'donjuanabee' watching your match, it's me, and I'm learning from the masters. Thanks to all of you who oblige me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.