[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Swiss triple elimination

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 19 February 2015, at 12:31 p.m.

In Response To: Swiss triple elimination (Leonardo Jerkovic)

As long as the tournament is long enough to schedule enough matches for the number of players scheduled, I love Swiss and modified Swiss more than any other format for many reasons.

And if there is time, I would rather have triple elimination than being out after 2 losses, as that keeps you alive and shooting for the gold longer. In a traditional single-elimination tournament, you travel half way around the country or the world, draw Mochy in the first round and the rest of the weekend is without hope of winning the event, or even worse, draw some lousy player in the first round who plays like a donk but rolls great and beats you and then you have to think about that for the rest of the weekend.

Many, of course, believe winning consolation is some consolation, but when you look at the number of matches you have to win to win consolation, that's harder to win than the main event! And that's single-elimination too. So lose your first two matches and I begin to wonder why I spent so much money to come to this tournament.

A Swiss always makes you feel like you got your money's worth because you're in the hunt longer and are very likely to have a lot more matches before you are out of the main. And knowing exactly when your next match is and rarely if ever having to wait is wonderful. And knowing that even if you get a bad draw in the first or second round you can recover.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.