[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Finish this sentence...

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 4 March 2015, at 6:07 a.m.

In Response To: Finish this sentence... (Stick)

...leadership with a fresh perspective. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the people who are the leaders or that we need new leaders, but we need people with a vision to grow the game from the bottom up, not from the top down.

There are millions of people out there who play backgammon casually that we don't attract to tournament play because we don't market to them; we don't make it easy for them to learn match play and come to live events and feel welcomed instead of intimidated; we don't promote it as a fun and exciting game (what the F do beginners know or care about PR and XG?) when we stream.

We do very little to promote backgammon in the schools...why, we even have "leaders" in our backgammon community who believe it is a crime to teach children backgammon.

You want sponsors? More money? Simple, attract more people so there is a reason for sponsors to support organized backgammon.

Sorry Neil, clocks won't help the game grow...that's just another thing strictly for the high-level tournament players. I am very much for clocks, but my point is when you ask the leadership of this game what is needed, the thoughts do not go to where I believe we really need to focus.

Why? Because we're myopic, short-sighted, involved in our own personal needs, and don't take a bigger, longer view. All of us.

What backgammon needs is a world-wide Federation dedicated to growing the game from the bottom up and not obsessed with PR and who is the next No. 1 Giant and who gets in the Hall of Fame. There is a place for all of those things, but those are just self-massaging focus on our own little world. And it is sickeningly little. And I believe, with vision, that can change.

Glad you asked.

We are

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.