[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What would a giant do?

Posted By: playBunny
Date: Tuesday, 31 March 2015, at 2:01 p.m.

In Response To: What would a giant do? (RealNick)

I've often wondered where the positions come from in BgTrain. This one looks more like a badly played longgammon game than an awfully played stab at backgammon.

Longgammon has a different sort of prime versus prime game. It's not about trapping a blot or two, it's about trapping all of them. Ideally, you create the most advanced outer-field prime that you can and both sides butting heads to see who crunches first.

Here, I'd most want to make the 6 point and bar point. I need two on the bar to prevent the opponent from easily taking the 6-point but it just so happens that their blots and the roll are perfect.

11/6* 11/7*

The outer field blots can be picked off or, as Bob suggested, left to crunch. The main aim is to create the prime from the 6-point to 11.

A difference between this and a more usual longgammon priming game is that the primes usually meet closer to the mid points. This gives more space behind the opponent's hopefully crunching wall, hence better timing. Here there's only the ace point and that may get blocked, but at least that would hit the blot and gain a useful 18 or so pips.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.