[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

potential swiss rules modification

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 31 March 2015, at 5:11 p.m.

The discussion about number of matches between 1st chance bracket winner and 2nd chance bracket winner led me to wonder about how swiss byes are currently scored.

Pretty sure Carolina Invitational, Chicago Open, and (in the past) Wisconsin State (swiss version) and Indiana Open award a win for a bye (max of one per event) to (exactly) one player with the worst record in a round with an odd number of players remaining.

I see a couple alternatives:

1) not modifying the record for the player receiving the bye. In this case s/he has one fewer matches on record as the event proceeds. Is that a problem?

2) the player receiving the bye is awarded 1/2 a win and 1/2 a loss. This makes the most sense to me since most contested matches are closer to 50-50 than they are to 100-0.

I'm going to be surprised if this hasn't been discussed/considered in the past. If that's the case there likely is some weakness of this method compared to what is currently in practice.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.