[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My USBGF resignation/clarification

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 18 April 2015, at 5:26 p.m.

I want to clarify to all my position relative to the USBGF.

Bill Riles put out a very nice note on the USBGF Facebook Page that I have resigned from my position as the Manager of the Facebook page. He also said many nice things about my contribution to the organization, which is much appreciated.

What he did not say is that I also resigned at the Advisor to the Education Committee and the Official Teaching Pro of the organization.

I want to stress that I was not asked to resign or threatened to be fired in any way, and this was completely my own decision and choice.

I am involved in many backgammon-related activities that take up much of my time and energy, which I do in order to make a living, by the way. And of course, I also compete in tournaments, chouettes and private games simply because I enjoy the game. I simply no longer have the time to give the USBGF to do a good job. I doubt anyone knows how many hours a week I have put in working with new members, with schools and kids all over the country, making videos, answering questions and helping new members with web sites, XG, tournament information and rules. I just no longer have that kind of time.

I also want to say that I believe Bill Riles and Karen Davis, Tara, and others in the USBGF are to be thanked and respected for all of their personal time and efforts to grow the game and the organization, and I hope to continue to be good friends with them all for many years.

So my major reason for resigning is simply for personal time, but also for personal freedom. As a representative of the USBGF my hands were tied to speak out on issues that I considered important to the game and myself, as anything I said reflected on the USBGF. I have not been in agreement with the USBGF on its handling of several issues that are both general and affect me personally, and I did not want to say or do anything that would hurt the USBGF or cause people to have a problem with the organization because of my views. And of course, the USBGF did not want that either.

Therefore, as a private individual I am able to speak out publicly on what I personally believe is important, and also speak out and respond if and when I am personally attacked or threatened. I have been restricted in this area far too long, and frankly, now I am “free.”

I really think Bill Riles made a great point about not airing dirty laundry in public, but at the same time when we see things happening that are really bad for the game by people who do it consistently, year after year, and there is no organization that can or will do anything about it, there is no recourse but to speak out. I hope some day the USBGF or ABT will have the desire and authority to take action where necessary against bad actors so there would be no need to air dirty laundry.

I love this game and it is a huge part of my life, and I love playing in tournaments, giving lectures, and most of all, teaching, and I will continue to do all, but not as much as before. I will concentrate on my teaching and selling boards and other backgammon products and services and growing The Backgammon Learning Center (we now have 11 teachers all over the world), and other projects.

I have received many emails and calls from people thanking me for my contribution to the game and organization and I have been given awards and recognition formally from the USBGF and The Brittish awards, but I feel the biggest reward I have received from my efforts is simply the pleasure I have had in working with so many great people who have become great friends. I have had over 300 students in the past 10 to 15 years, and I continue to stay in touch with and friends with most of them, and that has added greatly to my life.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I greatly respect the people on this forum and the leaders and board members of the USBGF and I wanted to be clear on my position.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.