[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Finish this sentence...

Posted By: Jake Jacobs
Date: Tuesday, 21 April 2015, at 1:26 a.m.

In Response To: Finish this sentence... (Fatboy)

I had a friend in Vegas years ago, Nicky Vacciano, who was mentored by Minnesota Fats when he was a kid. He said 9-ball players (noting that our friend Billy Incardona was an exception) died broke because the one-pocket players got all their money.

He also said that the main thing he learned from Fats was that when Fats was with pool players he played cards, and when he was with card players he played pool.

Nicky was by then playing poker. He didn't claim to be as good as the guys he hung around with - Chip, Puggy, and Stuey - but he never needed to borrow money.

He was also a good gin player. Years ago in Vegas there was a big gin tournament, and he reached the final. His opponent was Chet Wander, who 50 years ago was considered The Man because he had written "The Book" on gin. He approached Nicky and asked (doubtless hoping to intimidate him) if he had read his book. Nicky said he hadn't.

"No," Wander feigned shock.

Nick said: "I tell you what, if you win I'll read your book, but if I win, you read MY book."

On the subject of gin Nick had some great Stu stories, as you might imagine.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.