[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Mochy/Phil Prop File + Wrap Up

Posted By: Stick
Date: Thursday, 23 April 2015, at 6:38 a.m.

As everyone here knows, Mochy and Phil recently played out a prop after the Las Vegas tournament where Phil would start with cube ownership on 2. The idea was to test if Mochy's playing strength, estimated to be ~3 PR better than Phil's, was enough to make up for the difference in cube ownership.

This was streamed on twitch at the time and the videos including commentary from Falafel, Carter, and MCG have since been uploaded to youtube. Part 1 and Part 2. This ended up being roughly 4 hours of play/transcription. I input the entire thing myself though shortly before I went to post this Mochy sent me Part 2 that he himself I believe had transcribed.

They were supposed to play 30 games alternating who won the opening roll. As you'll see in the XG file, first game Player 1 would start with 21. In the next game Player 2 would start with a 21. This would continue the entire session in order to rotate the opening rolls in a fair manner. They only completed 27 games so they didn't end up playing Phil's opening 64 or either of their opening 65. They had been playing a long time and had dinners and parties to attend to. At the time they quit Mochy was up 14 points so a comeback from Phil was very unlikely anyway.

Part of the idea behind this exhibition was to raise money for a project started by Mochy and the Japanese Backgammon League called the U25 for 'under 25 years old'. This has been running for almost 6 years now. The basic aim of the project is getting young players into the game. This is done through summer camps, competitions, meetings, etc...Mochy and Michy often join up with the youth players to teach. The winner of the annual tournament was actually sent to the Las Vegas Open held in the fall with their hotel, air fare, and entry fee all being paid for them. If you'd like to see some pictures check out Mochy's site.

This is a project that needs funding and Mochy is trying to do more than keep it as just a local project. He'd like to get other countries involved. If you'd like to support the project please make a donation through Paypal to mochy@backgammon.gr.jp

While I could have edited the text file and reloaded it into XG, I decided the easiest way to input the matches was simply to double for Mochy at the first opportunity and then remove the analysis from that decision. The files are analyzed on XGR++ and there are quite a few rollouts already included.

Match File Download

Mochy & Phil started with 2 minutes on their clocks at the start of every game. There seemed to be a 12 second delay and at the end of each player's turn 3 seconds would be added to his reserve bank. It's my feeling that the constant time pressure may have caused Mochy to play worse than usual. There's quite a difference between being given 2 minutes per point in a match with a 12 second delay and having a maximum of 2 minutes per game (+ added time). Maybe Mochy will comment if he thinks it had any effect on his game. If someone were to have timed out they would have lost 2 points and had 30 seconds added to their time bank to continue the game.

There was lots of side action and the amount being bet per point was never released as there were likely backers on both sides. I, myself, had money on the outcome having chosen simply that Mochy ended up ahead. Maybe in the future an event that pits Falafel v. X could use two clocks. One for normal play and the other to be hit by either player when they disagreed with their opponent's play and wanted to bet on it. Then the players would have X seconds to decide if they wanted to bet on it, odds or not, and the person transcribing the match (and video) would keep track of the bets to be settled and go over after the match for the benefit of all.

Finally, here are the PRs:

Phil 6.6
Mochy 3.9

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.