[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

WSOB Coverage - lengthy but quality =))

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 26 March 2008, at 9:45 a.m.

On joost.com they have now uploaded episodes of the WSOB from 2006 til now. They also have 'high stakes backgammon' episodes uploaded. To watch you need to install the joost software, it's perfectly fine, a nice player for that matter. I've been on joost for over a year now when they were in beta. It's a site you can catch some horrible tv shows on too.

Now time for me to rail on the commentators. I watched everything over the last two days and by far the most annoying is Magriel & John Clark. Followed closely by John Clark and X. Some of my favorite quotes (sometimes paraphrased) are listed below.

• "Snowie consistently beats the best backgammon players in the world." I know Snowie promotes it, I know this is the reason for it being stated, but I still can't help but say "Really?" Could someone define consistently for me? After that you can tell me who the best players in the world are who are feeding you this bs.

• "Score dependant checkers plays...don't happen that often" Well stated Magriel lol

• There were two occassions when the commentators are babbling on about missed doubles by the roller in a race when they have the pip count fed to them not realizing the person on roll is down in the pip count, not up.

• "Best lowball razz player in the world." Lowball razz? Vn.

• "A weapon to be used like a raise in poker, a weapon in each player's armory, to be used like a rapier." Speaking of the doubling cube of course, said by John Clark. The picture of Clark with a "rapier" rofl...

• "dennis scoops it.... you should never scoop here, one reason you can't scoop because dennis can't recube at this score..." It was a scoop lol

• "S'il vous plait" - Paul Magriel. My ears are bleeding.

• ""the Danes started this match as a big favorite"
  • It was Thomsen/Lylloff v. Perry Gartner & Howard Markowitz, again, I'd love to hear some bg players define things such as "big favorite".

One thing I could personally do without is backgammon players saying "That's backgammon" when interviewed after a match exactly like poker players saying "That's poker" after they get knocked out. Let's be fair, I could do without either of the fish saying it, just annoying. While we're on the subject, I could do without the poker anologies in backgammon.

Magriel, when he's right, will revisit the play and continue talking about it. When he's wrong (you hear the people inputting the matchin in Snowie talking to them from the side) he'll either quickly revise his thoughts or purposely move on to the next topic very quickly. Hilarious.

Another fine analogy, "200-1 GWC is equivalent to walking out the front door and an airplane crashing into you". 200-1, an airplane hitting you when you walk out your front door, something I hear about too much on the news anymore.

John Clark clearly states "almost a perfect bearoff position, ever so slightly better if the 3rd spare is on the 3pt instead of the 4pt." In other words, he thinks a better distribution for your spares when you have your opponents checker closed out is 653 and not 654. He's the best player in the UK you know? I didn't misunderstand him, he didn't trip over his words, from the way he stated it I believe he believes this.

"John clark, also recently nominated onto the Giants of backgammon list." "Back in '95 O'laughlin was rated the 2nd best player in the world on the international lists."

Is there a different Giants list I'm not aware of? What are these international lists??

There's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooot of material I'm cutting out because I realize how long this is getting. I've included the best I guess. Let me end on this note.

Kazuhiro Shino - a pimpy looking oriental who has been living in the UK for about 20 years from what I hear. Someone, who will not be named but that I believe 100% is telling the truth, told me this cocksucker renigged on a bet. They were playing a match, Person A wanted to play for 50 euros, Kazuhiro wanted to play for more, talked him into playing for 200 euros. It was agreed upon and Kazuhiro lost and said he didn't have the money on him, saw him the next day, nothing. Saw him at another tournament and Kazuhiro avoided him. I will stab you ... a note to anyone. Of course you want to play for more if you win you get paid, if you lose, you're going to renig? I have no problem with people trying to hold out on bets, screwing people over, whatever light you want to look at it in. I personally will get even with some interest, I've got plenty of free time. I hate ppl like this and I hope you die from a very oozie STD you acquired by sleeping with a hooker who turned out to be a tranny.

Smiles! =) If I were to ever get an online site for playing bg running it would be in my terms & conditions that if you were caught cheating your information would be published bright as day for all to see and there would be a 'known cheats' section listing the people's real name.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.