[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Assigning byes to seeded players

Posted By: Roland Scheicher
Date: Tuesday, 30 June 2015, at 8:13 a.m.

In Response To: Seeding byes...OMG ..please NO !! (Fatboy)

When I reopened this thread yesterday (see: http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=180515 ) I wanted to point out that when players are to be seeded great care must be taken in order to provide equal chances to all players to win a bye.

In Chuck Bower’s example for instance this principle is not adhered to (see my calculation there)

I definitely do not want to assign byes to certain players. If there is some reason for seeding certain players, I do not want to further increase their chances to win the tournament by giving better chances to win a bye to them.

Assigning byes to the seeded players would even go much farther. However, this is done at tennis (first round byes are assigned to the seeded players according to their seed numbers) or in the most extreme form at the world championships at chess (the challenger has to run through a long tournament and not until having won this tournament he will meet the current champion; this means that the current champion is a seeded player who is given not only a first round bye but so many byes that he may start playing in the final.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.