[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How about treating every one in the event the same?

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Thursday, 2 July 2015, at 6:16 a.m.

In Response To: How about treating every one in the event the same? (Bob Koca)

You are assuming you will lose top players by giving byes or other incentives to low players. I don't believe this is the case as long as the total prize pool grows. The hope is that there will be more money in the pot because there will be more players. And long-term, the hope is that with more players there is more likihood of sponsorship and great coverage of the game worldwide.

At the same time that I believe it is necessary to give some incentives to low open players to come, I still see the need for make it profitable for top, professional players to attend. If there is any added money in a tournament, a lot of it should go to the masters, or dual-duel and other special events that feature and attract the giants.

Recently we are seeing tournaments offer special incentives for the likes of Michy, Mochy, Akiko, and Falafel to come. These are the "stars" of our game currently and it adds to the excitement and draw of a tournament to have them. I still see and advocate special treatment for our stars to encourage them to attend, and I believe this will continue to happen in the future and that will keep them coming.

Aside from the above mentioned players and a few others, most of the top players (giants) who go to tournaments aren't really doing it to make a living, and don't expect to make a "profit" from tournament play once all the expenses are considered. Yes, in a very good year, someone with an exceptional winning record, or who wins a major event with big prize money will come out ahead, but if you look at the list of winners of those events and calculate the odds of anyone but the top 3 or 4 players in the world making a profit from tournaments, it is not great. So if money is not the major reason they are attending, spreading a little more to the lower end of the open division shouldn't be a major deterrent, particularly if the total prize pool actually grows as a result.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.