[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A great learning competition

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Saturday, 18 July 2015, at 9:00 p.m.

Every now and then I still find myself missing a second or third roll move. So I invented a game that I play with friends and students. To make the game more interesting, it’s always fun to put a little money on it…that seems to make people concentrate a little more, try harder, and remember their mistakes after they make them. (When I play the game with students or with anyone at a lower skill level, I simply give them odds on every bet.) I played this yesterday with two students and we learned a lot.

Here’s how it works: for second roll moves, we simply roll the dice to see what the opening roll is, then we start with 1-1 and go through every single rolls and take turns. You put the dice on each number, say what your play is, and then hit XG and if you are right you get a point and if you are wrong you lose a point. If the other player disagrees with you he can challenge you and double the stakes before you look at the answer. You take turns going first.

The same game works well on third roll moves, and is also an excellent and fun way to learn those. Simply roll the dice and make the right move, than roll the dice and make the right move for the other player, and then go through every possible roll.

By the way, if your play is wrong by .05 or less on the second roll, you get credit for being right and if it’s less than .010 on the third roll, you get credit.

Note that there is no reason you can’t do this exercise on your own.

The real key to learning is this: when you make a mistake, try to figure out why XG’s move is right and yours was wrong. Even if you don’t come up with all the reasons, or the best reason, you will still remember the play better in the long run.

Of course if you know you are going to do this often or for a long time, why not do this with every possible opening move so you don't miss anything?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.