[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Intermediate and beginners forum

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 26 September 2015, at 2:58 p.m.

In Response To: Intermediate and beginners forum (Bill Patterson)

An excellent way to study...whether live or on line, it is great to have people around the same level helping each other and discussing things, and of course, if you can have a more experienced leader guide you, that is even better.

I do recommend keeping beginners together and apart from Intermediates, and the beginners will hold the Intermediates back and bore them, and the Intermediates will be talking over the heads of the beginners.

The technology is easy once you get a group together. Find 5-10 people around the same level and do a group session using Webex, Join me, or even Skype, and all get on line at a specified time. You can takes turns with each being the leader or moderator each time and cover a single subject or position each time....the smaller the topic the better, as you will really learn something.

Once you get your group organized, I am sure you can "guest lecturers" or teachers to come from time to time. I will be happy to do it once in a while myself (no charge) and I am sure there are others.

I would make sessions about 1-1.5 hours...too short isn't worth it and too long you lose people and it's hard to commit to the time. I would make it once a week or every other week, and never have more than about a half dozen people on line at a time as there is too much noise.

I have given many free, on line lectures, and one thing is to keep it small, but also to ask everyone to mute their computer or headsets unless they are talking as you will hear every dog barking and dishwasher and phone ring etc.

Excellent idea. Good luck with it and again, I will not commit to be a regular participant due to a) a lack of time and b) I charge for lessons and it would not be fair to my paying students to give too much away, and c) I do this for a living and I already give a lot of free lessons to kids and students.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.