[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BG Study Group ( 7'ish to 9'ish)

Posted By: RobertFontaine
Date: Thursday, 1 October 2015, at 2:35 a.m.

Thought it best to repost in a separate thread.

The idea so far:

Once or twice a month meet on a video/screen share chat site like Google or something else free.

Take turns presenting different topic areas of interest in backgammon where improvement could result in a lower PR.

Invite presenters occasionally (there have been a couple of volunteers) present topics that could helps us improve at from our level.

When life inteferes and we can't prepare a topic, play a chouette, discuss the plays or us against the bot, or find something else entertaining where we can help each other improve.

I would hope we could create a more interactive group that could sustain itself over time where individuals can come and go with more important things than playing games.

My current objective is to get into the 5's in match play in the next year. On the other hand, if I get a really cool job, my wife decides I should be doing something else, or I find an inexpensive turbo for my M3 then objectives will change. I suspect that this is the same for any other participant. Rather than attempting to create huge amounts of structure I would like to try to create something both casual and productive that can provide value when you/I have time and is still there when we are not.

My selection of the range from 7-9 PR is a little selfish and a little pragmatic. It seems to represent a break point where you aren't quite good enough to be competitive tournament player but you know the game and the theory well enough to present and discuss at a fairly high level.

Personally I think this is what is commonly known in the pool room as a fish ;) This suggests some entertaining names for our group.

If you are interested in this format/approach and would like to engage please shoot me an email. I have a few responses at this point. Enough for an initial meeting to get input, ideas and direction.

Motivation, a little anarchy, not a lot of commitment, lots of learning and sharing is the kind of thing I'm thinking.

-Robert

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.