[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A blunder that wasn't a blunder

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 7 December 2015, at 5:29 p.m.

In Response To: A blunder that wasn't a blunder (Bob Koca)

Of the hundreds of people watching my game, I would say that if there was anyone who liked my play they didn't have the guts to speak up after the abuse I received from one good player who saw it.

It's the crowd phenomenon. The same thing happened in my match with Mochy. One the last game where I could easily have won a gammon if I had switched points and stopped him from rolling 2's to save the gammon, Falafel was very critical of my play and said he and "any good player" would have won a gammon there if they had switched. It would also have stopped the "fanthom ace-point game."

After the match several others, including a couple of Giants, told me I should have switched. XG, however, rolled out, said switching was about a 4.5 error, and I made the right play.

Another play I made where I ran instead of making an inner board point, Falafel said what I did was hopeless. Sax has the guts to speak up and say he would have made my play. Falafel offered him 5-1 odds that my play was wrong. Sax stuck to his guns and took the bet, and my play turned out to be right by a bunch. Did anyone else in the room have the guts to take 5-1 after Falafel's trashing of my play? No. And there were some pretty heavy betters in the room.

No, don't get me wrong, the fact that Falafel was so tough on me, and wrong, and also wrong on a couple of Mochy's plays that were right, doesn't make me resent Falafel or think any less of him. The fact that he's willing to stick his neck out there and make strong opinions is what makes him such a fun commentator, and he's willing to be wrong, publicly, and admit it. I love the guy and would ask him to comment on my play any day.

So when you ask if people like a play, I would guess I was not the only one who would make this play over the board, but how many would admit that after a top player talks so much shit about my play.

Personally, I consider myself to be someone who does speak out against the popular opinion, as I never let a silly thing like logic stop me from my opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.