[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It's a New Year; Let's do Something New

Posted By: Julia Hayward
Date: Wednesday, 23 December 2015, at 8:59 p.m.

In Response To: It's a New Year; Let's do Something New (Albert Steg)

Funny - the same day I publish the OP on the UKBGF blog, I also get a complaint about one of our regional tournaments being full 6 months in advance...

We (the UKBGF) have been putting efforts into fostering the local club level, because we believe having lots of local, sociable games going is the main route to get new people in to playing the game. That's included making financial grants to new clubs, publicising them, providing advice, and running a Clubs Championship (which players attend more for the honour than the stakes) as an easy introduction to playing at the top levels. There have definitely been some real successes - our live clubs map http://www.juliahayward.com/ukbgf/backgammonclubs.html looks very different to a year ago - but there is still a long way to go. Particularly in my patch!

I have met people who have jumped in from almost nowhere to playing serious tournaments - but they tend to take a hammering and not come back. Providing play at all levels, and helping people find the level that they enjoy, is critical.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.