[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It's a New Year; Let's do Something New

Posted By: Phil simborg
Date: Sunday, 27 December 2015, at 12:58 a.m.

In Response To: It's a New Year; Let's do Something New (Timothy Chow)

I love ideas and innivations like this and completely agree that creating heroes and celebrities helps grow the game.

I also agree with the problems you raised--clearly there are some great players not at the top of the Giants list that could win (Gus, Nack and Sander come to mind quickly) but i dont think it is so bad to leave them out of the competition--after all, if we are going to create a hero and spokesperson for the game dont we want one that plays a lot?

As for sponsors, this can be created and that is one of my hopes for an eventual international federation. A little money can come out of every membership and every tournament to go into a fund to support a competition like this every two or three years and that money, plus some possible sponsorship money could offer enough incentive to attract the top players.

As for the format, i think it would be more interesting and fun to have not just standard round-robin okay but also a duplicate bsckgsmmon competition which would be the ultimate test of skill--the lowest PR in that event would clearly be the best player given the same rolls and conditions for all. As it is now if you take a bunch of great players and have them play the lowest PR might be to the one luckiest enough not to have gotten into back games and other tough positions.

Regardless of the details i am convincec that the best way to attract the much-needed sponsors snd media attention is for the game to unite and do things internationally in a bigger way than we have now--individual organizers, individaul countries snd federations all trying to do it on their own. The whole is far bigger than the parts.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.