[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

When are Advanced Players No Longer Advanced

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Thursday, 19 May 2016, at 10:52 p.m.

In Response To: When are Advanced Players No Longer Advanced (Bill Finneran)

It is simple and I like simple because I am simple however for a borderline player who is being pushed up to OPEN against their will asking them to play 50 matches at that level before coming back means that they may have to play in a dozen or more tournaments which for most players is six or more years so you are asking someone to potentially throw their money away for six years so I think it is more likely you'll lose that player permanently. This is why I like a rating system that decays over time if you don't continue to produce, such as the Larsen-Silliman rating system for the US, which I lent my involvement to primarily in the hopes that it would be a vehicle to someday actually have an objective measure that could be used to force someone up, while still giving them an opportunity to move down if they wished if their rating dropped.

A combination of this sort of a rating system that decays over time with inactivity, national or international Elos, maybe even online Elos on sites that don't allow you to purchase the best move, USBGF online circuit elos, and PRs for those who pursue the BMAB route, could be mashed together in some sort of algorithm that could provide some objectivity.

Hypothetical but not too farfetched scenario- suppose one of our games greatest Giants, as they advance in years, loses a step due to Father Time, shouldn't they be allowed to drop down to Advanced? Before having to have their ass whipped for 50 matches, which at 15-35 to fall below 30% implies a dozen tournaments.

If I was running a tournament and printing a brochure, I would say that a player at 0.84 Larsen/Silliman (more than two-thirds above the 0.50 ABT points per player in ADVANCED) would be required to play in Open. Likewise I would require a player with a 0.42 (more than two-thirds the 0.25 ABT points per player in NOVICE) to move up to ADVANCED.

Of course it is much easier to use that formula to push people up rather than allow someone to move down because with the luck involved in the game a really good player could go on a prolonged cold streak with respect to wins and losses.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.