[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

When are Advanced Players No Longer Advanced

Posted By: Barry Murphy
Date: Friday, 20 May 2016, at 10:49 p.m.

In Response To: When are Advanced Players No Longer Advanced (johnk)

This happened to me about 10 years ago and I understand the dilemma. I won the "Advanced" a couple of times in a row in Pittsburgh and in Cleveland, and ended up being "guided" towards the regular Open. The problem was, I was best at advanced but not really good enough for the Open so I became shark food when I played the open. Realizing that being at the top of Advanced and the bottom of the Open kind of sucked, I tossed in the towel.

I quit playing live tournaments because of the cost and my in-between status of advanced vs open. I felt like all I was doing was feeding the pot for the Open. Now here I am, Advanced Winner 2001 Ohio State Backgammon and I have not played in a live tournament for years. The only human competition I have is with family members at the kitchen table and only a very few games on Safe Harbor but I play XG regularly and the online match at GammonU and watch my numbers. When I am paying attention, I can do a pretty good PR. In the near future I will retire and will possibly re-enter the world of live tournaments. Being in-between is a difficult place to be.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.