[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clock Settings with non-Standard Devices and Equipment

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 12 September 2016, at 9:06 p.m.

I have read and listened to all of these discussions for a long time. I've put a lot of thought into them. My take follows:

Personally, I much prefer shaking and rolling the dice rather than the use of any baffle box, dice tube, etc. I think in the grand scheme of things the devices accomplish little and detract from the game.

That being said, it is, generally, a free country and a free world and those that wish to use some of these aids and devices should, within reason, be free to do so.

In tournaments I have directed, I have taken the stance that baffle boxes and dice tubes are pre-approved non-standard equipment and, if both players agree, they may be used without my specific ruling. As non-standard equipment, if either player objects to their use, then they are not used. As discussed below, I will amend this policy in the future.

I will not approve the use of a dice app except possibly in the consideration of accommodation of a disability. Backgammon is a dice game, I want to see dice used. A director has no knowledge, control, confidence, or verification of a dice app on a player's smart phone. Thus, outside the disability caveat, I would not allow them.

A significant argument by supporters of these devices is that they may save time -- I agree. However, that raises an entirely different set of questions. In a mandatory clock event, I think it unfair if some matches are played with time saving devices while other matches are not. Should players with time saving devices not have the same burden of time management as players without time saving devices? I think so.

Thus, I think a fair ruling would be reduced buffer settings on matches with time saving devices. Players using these devices would still realize, in their minds, the advantage of more 'fair' rolls, etc.; however, they would not be at an advantage in their matches from a time perspective in comparison to other matches.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will assume the standard clock settings are 2 minutes/12 seconds. The setting variations would necessarily be subjective but I think something like 2 minutes/8 seconds for matches with baffle boxes might be appropriate. Similarly, though I would not allow their use, if a director allowed dice apps I think something like 2 minutes/6 seconds might be most appropriate.

I do not think settings should be reduced when devices are used in the accommodation of disability -- in fact, there may be justification for increased settings.

And, of course, for clocked matches, I think it highly inappropriate, as an example, to allow one player to use a time saving device while the opponent plays traditionally. One would have a time advantage; all clocks with which I am familiar do not allow individual buffer settings. So, mixed usage is not feasible.

I think the burden of being able to shake and roll adequately rests with every player and should not be used as an excuse to permit advocates of the devices and apps to game the system and to get their way.

Only my personal two cents. Would like to hear the opinions of other objective individuals.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.