[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Apologies to Bob Koca

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Sunday, 22 January 2017, at 4:40 p.m.

In reference to this statement I made:

Bob, if I posted that 2 + 2 = 4, you would probably come back to me and say "but you didn't specify that you were using decimal notation."

in this post, I feel now that I was unduly harsh on Mr. Koca.

After finishing up last night the book recommendation from Phil Simborg, a work of fiction that I found immensely enjoyable, I returned to my favorite genre, history, and began reading David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography John Adams. I came across a passage that made me realize that, rather than being in any way obstreperous, cantankerous or pedantic, Bob is simply carrying on in the tradition of America's founding fathers. To wit, from page 86 of the hardcover edition, concerning deliberations in the 1st Continental Congress held in Philadelphia in the summer of 1774, in a letter to his beloved wife Abigail, John Adams writes:

"I believe that if it was moved and seconded that we should come to a resolution that three and two make five, we should be entertained with logic and rhetoric, law, history, politics, and mathematics concerning the subject for two whole days, and then we should pass the resolution unanimously in the affirmative."

I apologize Bob, and carry on, great Patriot!!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.