[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

2017 Texas Backgammon Championships -- San Antonio -- February 4-7

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 6 February 2017, at 8:23 p.m.

Slowly recovering from another great tournament.

Big congratulations to Championship Division winner Antoinette Williams in a thrilling comeback against finalist Leyla Zaloutskaya. Leyla led 8-2 before Antoinette closed to 8-5. Then Leyla had a deuce point game holding a two-cube. Antoinette had eight checkers remaining to bear off while Leyla had two checkers to extract from Antoinette's home board. Antoinette bore off four checkers with a large doublet. Leyla left with one checker. Antoinette took off two more checkers leaving Leyla on the deuce point needing 5 pips to save the backgammon. 3-1. The thrill and the agony. Congratulations to both ladies. In everyone's recollection, this is the first ABT tournament wherein two ladies met in the Championship final.

The ladies' weekend continued with Elena Evans of Austin defeating Houston's Dan Morse for the Championship. Coincidentally, Elena and Antoinette were roommates this weekend and both won their respective divisions. I suspect others might be asking for room 5103 next year .... lololol.

We almost had a ladies trifecta as Mary Kay Lively of Boerne, Texas lost in the Limited Championship to Brad Vogt, also of Boerne, Texas. Surprisingly, the two did not know each other.

Over all a very successful tournament that I think, and I hope, was enjoyed by all. Much to review and reflect upon over the next few days to continue to refine our event.

We are so fortunate to have a venue in the center of downtown of a delightful city. Without exception, to my knowledge, everyone loves San Antonio. So much to see and do; and so many fine, varied restaurants -- all within easy walking distance from our tournament hotel.

Many great matches were streamed. Hopefully everyone enjoyed our coverage.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.