[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Is leader dead cube redouble always automatic?

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Thursday, 27 July 2017, at 6:55 p.m.

Don't know if the subject line correctly reflects the situation but here it goes.

I am trailing 2-away/5-away. Opponent doubles and I take.

Question is whether my redouble is automatic (given that I obviously have nothing to lose by redoubling, given that losing the game means losing the match).

I purposefully chose *not* to redouble right away--based on my likely misunderstanding of Paul Lamford's IMPROVE YOUR BACKGAMMON discussion about the immediate 2-away/2-away double by either player.

I had to settle for playing a back-game, which I developed nicely. My opponent rolled almost perfectly, never leaving a blot for me to hit, while I rolled some large numbers which crunched me. I never even bothered to redouble. That is not the issue, though.

One of our experienced players indicated that as soon as I established the back-game, yet while my opponent still had time, I should have redoubled. Interestingly, my opponent indicated that had I so then doubled, he would have dropped!

So let's step back. If I had redoubled immediately, I would not have gained anything, since I lost the game anyway. However, had I doubled upon establishing the back-game, after deferring to redouble immediately, I would have cashed 2 points.

This gives me the impression that redoubling is not always automatic in these circumstances.

Why is my analysis wrong?

Is the analysis different when trailing 2-away/4-away?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.