[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Match file rescue missions

Posted By: Terje Pedersen
Date: Tuesday, 22 August 2017, at 12:14 p.m.

Hi!

I took a look at another match that had some errors: 13 Michy (3.55) - Falafel (3.22) 21p Monaco 2012

Clearly this is messed up. It looks like one illegal move was attempted but that didn't help so it looks like the transcriber just gave up and entered the remaining moves.

In this case I was lucky and was able to locate the original video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23879208

and was able to see what happened. It turns out the video stalled and the positions jumped which caused the transcription problems. The last good frame before the stall:

Then the next frame that is visible:

Falafel is grabbing a checker so instead of 2-6 he got a 5.

Instead of 2-1 a 1-1 is correct here and will move position forward. But now it gets tricky as the next visible position is:

and no single move could move the position forward. A misplayed double 6 could have done it or a few more moves. Instead of trying to come up with some moves here you can use the Transcribe/Edit position option in XG to set up the next position and you should be back on track. Doing this at a later stage required me to start a new transcription, setting up the position I wanted then export it to text in order to get the string to insert in the old match: ; Set Pos=cCBBBC-AAA--d----b-db-----/0

And now it looks a lot better!

For these broken matches I first try to locate the original text version from othellos database and for a couple of matches those original matches got analyzed correctly without errors but in this case it only got worse:

In this case the PR result didn't change much:

but in another case it went from:

To:

which is pretty significant!

Don't delete your match videos after they are transcribed! Upload them to youtube! You never know if they are needed later! And they are sweet to watch playing through a match on Backgammon Studio:

Which moves did they spend a lot of time on? Which alternative moves were they considering? Lots of extra information you can't find in the match transcription alone.

Another one I am trying to fix:

is just too messed up so I haven't managed to fix it yet. Do you have the match video from this match? All I could find was the third part which is after the broken game: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23887108

Backgammon Studio The Swiss army knife of backgammon!

Best regards,
TP

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.