[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Mochy’s Astonishing Backgammon Performance Level

Posted By: Rick Janowski
Date: Monday, 16 October 2017, at 9:16 a.m.

Mochy’s Astonishing Backgammon Performance Level

Since the implementation of BMAB three years ago, Mochy has maintained an incredible level of play, never letting his PR average fall below 2.90. More recently he has pushed his performance level to reach an astonishing level of 2.40 measured over 300 experience points, not only achieving the title of Super Grandmaster, but with a clear margin of 0.10 below the 2.50 benchmark.

Before this result, and throughout the development of BMAB, the Executive Team and its key advisors thought that the level of Super Grandmaster was not practically achievable in the near future, and probably wouldn’t happen for several years if at all. Mochy has proved us all wrong! I believe that Mochy has now demonstrated that he is the greatest backgammon player that has ever lived. Not only does he reach incredible levels of play, he also possesses relentless levels of consistency, rarely if ever having bad days. Bravo to Mochy and his scintillating contribution to Backgammon, inspiring us to attempt to achieve similar levels of greatness.

Clearly BMAB is absolutely delighted to award Mochy the title of Super Grandmaster, and to formalise this achievement and mark the occasion a hand crafted Certificate with gold embossed seal has been prepared and sent to Mochy.

In an attempt to give some scale to Mochy's achievement, I analyzed the PRs of the 33 Grandmasters. The overall average PR is 3.57. Mochy's PR performance of 2.4 is 3.1 standard deviations above the mean. I also did further analyses with the top 50 and top 100 players respectively, reaching broadly the same result: about three standard deviations or 3-sigma. A 3-sigma result is so rare that it only occurs 0.27% of the time. This demonstrates how remarkable Mochy’s achievement is. One benefit of this analysis is that it allows great achievers in different sports to be compared. To illustrate this I include a list of sigma levels from a selection of the greatest ever sports players (from Wikipedia):

Don Bradman (Cricket) 4.4 Sigma

Pele (Association Football) 3.7 Sigma

Ty Cobb (Baseball) 3.6 Sigma

Jack Nicklaus (Golf) 3.5 Sigma

Michael Jordan (Baseball) 3.4 Sigma

If Mochy reaches a 300 experience rolling average of 2.25, and the title of Super Grandmaster (Class 2) he will be matching these guys. Who’s to say he can’t!?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.