[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Swiss tournament playoffs

Posted By: bob koca
Date: Saturday, 7 June 2008, at 2:26 a.m.

At the recent Chicago ABT tournament I was discussing this with Sam Pottle and Chris Yep. The main problem we wanted to solve was a fair transparent way to setup a playoff bracket in a Swiss tournament. I like the following system:

1) Count an undefeated player as having 4 entries, a once defeated player as hvaing 2, and a twice defeated player as having 1. Start the playoff rounds the first time the total number of entries is 8 or fewer. Another way of looking at this is that an undefeated player is automatically in the finals and a once defeated player is automatically to the semis. The two loss players may get lucky and get a bye to the semis if the total entries is not 8.

2) Pay 4 places in the main 4, 2, 1, 1. Note that this may need to be adjusted to 4, 2, 1 if there happened to be an no loss player entering the playoffs.

A 2 loss player who then loses in the round of 8 and thus is not guaranteed money enters the consolation round one round advanced. This makes sense becasue he would then be at an equal place with other 3 loss players and would have the same number of wins.

Depending on number of players either pay 2, 1 or 2, 1, .5, .5 in the consolation round.

Concerns: 1) If the field is quite large then this pays too much to the first place, and would be imbalanced as far as ABT points go compared to other tournaments. 2) I don't like how the %age to the winner can change. Perhaps if it turns out to be 4, 2, 1 Should put that 1 down to the consolation. Changing 2, 1, into 2, 1, .5, .5 or changing 2, 1, .5, .5, to 2, 1, .5 , .5 .25, .25, .25, .25 3) If there are exactly three 2 loss players then there is too much importance to whom gets the bye.

Bob Koca

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.