[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Club players rating system: how many points to assign to winner of consolation bracket?

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Thursday, 25 January 2018, at 6:06 p.m.

Players in our club wanted a rating system to determine our "champion" for 2018. I cooked one up that hopefully balances ease of implementation with fairness.

Question for your consideration: how many points does the winner of the consolation bracket get?

We have two brackets, a main and a consolation. Losers of their first match in the main bracket go to the consolation bracket. The winners of the first main bracket matches play on for a shot at the finals, where there will be a tournament winner and a runner-up.

Everyone is thus guaranteed to play 2 matches.

Whoever wins the consolation bracket is the . . . consolation bracket winner.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that all tournaments consist of 4, 8, 16, 32. . . . players (i.e., 2^n players).

We'll give n points to the winner of a tournament and n-1 to the runner-up. The idea is that to win a tournament, you have to win n games, e.g., must win 3 games in an 8 player tournament, must win 4 games in a 16 player tournament, and so on.

Obviously the runner-up wins one less game than the tournament (main bracket) winner, thus he/she gets n-1 points.

The question is: if we give the main bracket winner n standing points, and the runner-up n-1 points, how many do we give to the consolation bracket winner?

Note the consolation bracket winner wins the same number of games as the runner-up, i.e., n-1.

I was inclined to give him/her n-2 points, but I am thinking that something less, e.g., n-1.5 may be fairer.

What do you think the consolation winner should get?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.