[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Observations, Opinions, Questions

Posted By: Mick Z
Date: Wednesday, 4 April 2018, at 5:04 p.m.

I definitely enjoyed watching the live streaming from the Nordic Open (once I figured out where to find it) this past Monday. From what I understand, the Nordic is one of the best run BG tournaments in the world. A first class event. I was struck, however, by the low number of players who cashed. I suppose the format (triple elimination) which I would consider a "Swiss" tends to lead to situations where maybe too few or too many cash. This year 5 out of 97 Open players cashed. Last year, 8 out 104, and two years ago, 10 out of 103. For a high cost event (600 euros to play the Open) I don't know if I would be comfortable with roughly 1 out of 20 cashing. Good for the winners, though.

I think its' great that different tournaments have different formats. Enough to choose from for every preference. I enjoy the traditional (Undefeated, Consolation, Last Chance) but I also enjoy The Swiss format. My only drawback to Swiss is that one or two cash at the top and then 6 or 7all tie for the rest. Recently, I played in a tournament that allowed re-buys. Initially, i liked the idea of a re-buy option. Good for those losing the first match and great for raising revenue. However, I now believe it's a disadvantage to those who win their first match. Their next match is in a larger bracket size than what would have existed had there been no re-buys.

I welcome your opinions on appropriate levels of cashing and format preferences.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.