[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What XG analysis level is used in a match file?

Posted By: Terje Pedersen
Date: Monday, 30 April 2018, at 11:13 a.m.

Hi!

I just got some feedback concerning the evaluation level on a match from Nordic Open which turned out to be poorly analysed (came from my laptop at Nordic...).

When you receive an XG match file can you tell which analysis level is used?

If some custom setting was used could you tell the exact details of those settings?

My current understanding is that you can't tell but you can get a clue by looking at the analysis dialog which will tell you how much time XG will use to analyse it at your current setting. For instance:

Here XG suggests that it was analysed at a bit lower level than "World Class"? I guess the amount of time displayed gives an indication on how many moves needs to be analysed again?

Here XG suggests that it was at least analysed at "World Class".

When it comes to Backgammon Studio ideally all uploaded matches should be analysed at a very strong level but unfortunately it is impractical for me to spend 30-50 minutes running XG analysis of every match I receive. My PC would be unresponsive for the duration and I can't do much else while this is going on. With the number of matches being uploaded it would mean my PC was constantly busy but I would also like to develop Backgammon Studio further. I guess I could have a dedicated mathine just for doing analysis but I don't think that is an option at the moment.

If you analyse a match at a very high level before submitting the match this will be used in the database. Earlier I tried to analyse all matches at the same level but it turned out to be too time consuming.

When I remember to do so I check that it was at least analysed at "World Class" level an analyse it at this level if I see the seconds isn't 0.0 in the analysis dialog.

If you play some challenge you can see what analysis level the moves were done at in the info section:

Here the info section shows the analysis level at the end of each move. This needs to be enabled first by clicking "Menu/Board Settings" then switch "Evaluation Level" to "On".

I've gone through all Nordic Open matches and found some more matches with poor analysis level. One was a bit amusing which went from:

Terje Pedersen (3.73) - Sebastian Wilkinson (2.94) 7pt Nordic Open 29.03.2018 Champ qualifier

to:

Terje Pedersen (2.61) - Sebastian Wilkinson (4.01) 7pt Nordic Open 29.03.2018 Champ qualifier

Oh hey! XG loves me! Sorry about this one Sebastian!

But I suspect my average is a little bit higher still! :-)

Backgammon Studio The Swiss Army knife of backgammon!

Best regards,
TP

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.