[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

clock setting--we need change

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 29 May 2018, at 2:22 p.m.

The settings in the faster masters in Chicago (and elsewhere) is 10 second delay and 1 min per point of match. In chicago, it was 11 point matches.

In every match, we had PLENTY of time to stop and really think about tough plays and tough moves. The game moved along at a nice pace, and we even had time for some banter and joking where appropriate.

These matches were FAR MORE FUN to play and certainly FAR MORE FUN for people to watch both live and streaming.

The faster time controls didn't hurt the game, it actually made the game more interesting and challenging as time management became more of a factor and more of a skill to apply.

What I recommend is that ALL MATCHES (except doubles) use the 1 minute per game, instead of 2, for the bank.

Tournaments will run more smoothly; players will have more enjoyable matches; and spectators will enjoy watching more. And yes, there will be more times where time will get short, but that adds an exciting and interesting element to the game as well. "Exciting," "Interesting," those are words we need to use more to attract more people to the game both as players and spectators. Short time controls will help accomplish this.

In the masters, Michi took 8 minutes to make a move where there were clearly only 2 options. I don't blame Michi...he had the time so why not use it? But how much fun is that for your opponent or for spectators. Also, if he can use 8 minutes for a choice between 2 moves, it shows how little time he needed for the rest of his decisions throughout the match.

My hope is that enough people will agree with me and we can start discussions about this and get at least some tournament directors to try this. How about giving the two player involved the option of the faster clock setting if they both agree (until this becomes formally adopted)? How about allowing this option to be one that the TD can choose for his tournament if he so chooses?

And yes, it could also be possible to use the faster settings and increase the time for the finals if it is felt that is necessary.

One last point. I am speaking not just for myself, but also for several others I have talked to about this who agree.

Please help me push this idea to tournament directors and federation leaders around the world.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.