[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

multiple side pools and rated side pools

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 6 August 2018, at 2:05 p.m.

As you may know, I am running a $A5,000 ($3750 US) entry fee tournament in Melbourne Australia in January. The main event runs for two days, January 23 and 24, maybe 3 if we get over 64 entrants. Before and after there will be all kinds of fun games including blitzes, chouettes, PaskoGammon, SpeedGammon.

At the same time the Aussie Millions poker is going on and many of our backgammon players will participate in that, either the main event or side events.

And at the same time is the Australian Open Tennis, and we have most affordable tickets (compared to the other majors) for that.

There will be chouettes and interlocking chouettes at a restaurant and at a private home for those interested, and also, for those who want to stay a little longer, we will have a Superbowl party with backgammon on January 4th (superbowl is the 3rd in the US but it's the 4th in Australia).

What a fantastic way to finally get to Australia. Many who have already pre-registered have indicated they will stay another week or so and see more of the country, but there is much to see and do just in Melbourne.

I have already posted that we will be using clocks with faster controls than normal...not as fast as speedgammon but somewhere inbetween. I already know some people don't like this...you can't please everybody, but most of us feel backgammon matches take too long and drag on which makes it less fun for spectators and participants. And remember, we will be streaming and want to attract more people to the game.

I like the idea of side pools for those who like more action, but most of us "normal" players don't feel we have much equity in those side pools as we are competing largely with very top players and giants who do have good equity getting in the side pools.

So what I am proposing for Australia is two side pools; one for anyone who want to get in it, and one that excludes any player who has ever been a top 32 Giant.

I know I would get in every side pool that excludes the giants, and yes, the main side pool would probably only have giants in it.

Okay, what is the downside to this? The Giants might feel they are losing equity in the tournament as a result. But I believe that is not true. As it is now, the side pools, if they are larger ones (we are talking about $2,000 or multiple side pools of $2M and $2M) don't get very many people entering anyway except for the giants. But with this approach, I believe more people will come to the tournament as they see a way to gamble in a way they have greater equity. And more people means more money in the general pool, and that means higher equity for the top players.

Remember, this is not your typical backgammon tournament. We are not talking about betting an extra $100 dollars. We are talking about a couple of grand...the people who come to tournaments like this are higher rollers.

And by the way, with chouettes and money games all day and night for several days before and after the tournament, everyone will have plenty of side action.

I am always open to ideas and feedback....that's why I am posting here.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.