[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opinion poll: What does "+" and "–" mean for a relative pipcount?

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Wednesday, 26 September 2018, at 5:43 p.m.

Pipcount systems have evolved over the years. For a long time, players counted the total for both sides, and then subtracted one from the other to get the relative (comparative) count. Lately, it has become more popular to obtain a relative count directly (and then figure out one of the totals only in the unlikely event it is necessary).

My question is this: What does plus (+) and minus (–) mean to you for a relative pipcount?

For example, suppose you are told that Blue is +3. Does that mean to you that

(a) Blue is leading by 3, ahead by 3, "plus" bringing to mind a positive (good) situation for Blue. Or
(b) Blue is trailing by 3, behind by 3, because his total pipcount is higher (more plus) than his opponent's pipcount.

(The answer to this question would automatically also dictate what it means to change a relative count by +x or –x during the process of counting.)

Over the years, I have seen people interpret plus and minus both ways, though I haven't been active lately. Frankly, I am hoping for a landslide consensus one way or the other, though please state your honest opinion or impression independent of (preferably without even consulting) others' opinions in response to this post.

Currently, the Coconut count implies (a), while the Urquhart and Criss-cross systems imply (b). If the clear consensus is (a), I will see if the creators of the latter two can be persuaded to invert (and I can show them how). If the clear consensus is (b), I plan to invert Coconut (easy to do).

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.