[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Steve Brown

Posted By: Dana Nazarian
Date: Saturday, 16 March 2019, at 3:59 p.m.

With a heavy heart, I'm very sad to report that our good friend Steve Brown from MN passed away yesterday.

He was recovering remarkably well (some would say medically impossibly well) from cardiac arrest last year. I visited him about 6 weeks ago and he was quite alert; we discussed politics, backgammon, sports, just like we had always done for the last 20 years. But unfortunately, recently, his health turned for the worse. I talked to him 3 days ago on the phone as he had just been admitted to comfort care, the final stage. He knew he was dying and was at peace with it. I thanked him for his friendship, for teaching me about life, and I said goodbye to a very dear friend. I spoke to his wife Terri last night and she told me that his care was spectacular and he died peacefully.

Steve was a great friend. He befriended me when I moved to Minneapolis in 1998, making me feel at home at the bg club and at tournaments. Besides his backgammon expertise, he was knowledgeable in many areas. We would often room together at backgammon tournaments and spend countless hours late into the middle of the night talking about random issues (and of course with backgammon mixed in everywhere).

Turning back to bg, although everyone understood Steve to be a great player, I would argue he was perhaps the most underrated backgammon player I know. He had an uncanny ability to be correct in controversial position arguments. I don't roll over easily so we had many debates and I can say that he was far more right than wrong in his arguments with me.

I have been influenced by many great backgammon players, but I made a decision long ago to model my demeanor at the table after Steve Brown; an unflinching, stoic, professional, respectful champion.

...and in life too. Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.