[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

CHEATING at an ABT...Why I’m angry.

Posted By: Mick Z
Date: Thursday, 29 August 2019, at 6:06 p.m.

Here we are on the eve of another ABT tournament and we have yet to hear from the USBGF regarding recent cheating at the Wisconsin ABT event. An individual was caught using magnetic dice and was forced to forfeit from the tournament. Unfortunately, he was caught on Saturday evening, which suggests some honest players may have been defrauded in earlier play. I don’t claim to be an expert on how the cheating worked, but from what I understand, his board may have been “juiced,” his dice WERE magnetic, and he had the ability to turn it on and off at will. Kudos to Amy T for having the guts to post info on ChicagoPoint, however, that could easily go unnoticed and therefore I feel compelled to bring it up here.

Why am I angry? I didn’t play in Wisconsin, however, I did lose to this player in an earlier ABT event this year and it was a match whereby the winner was guaranteed cash going forward. I played on his board with his dice. Enough said. But I am also angry because by handling this issue “quietly” other players may be risking the same fate. And that I cannot abide quietly. Magnetic dice are not the only problem. I’m told there are skilled folks who can manipulate rolls even using regular dice with a cup.

My question to the USBGF is why aren’t steps taken to eliminate or at least minimize cheating? I’m no rocket scientist but it seems to me that 99% (Don’t ask me to justify that number Bob K) of cheating could be eliminated by taking 2 simple steps: 1. Make all matches Baffle Box Preferred 2. Only use transparent precision dice

As for me, I will probably spend $17 for a magnet detector and take it to future events. There may always be the occasional “sleight of hand” that can’t always be detected but at least it’s a start in the right direction. After all, players are spending hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars on hotels, travel/meals, entry fees, Calcutta’s, etc. Shouldn’t they have the right to expect “The Powers that Be” to have their best interest at heart?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.