[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Grievance Grove - The Longest Running Thread

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 29 May 2020, at 9:12 a.m.

One thing no poker player wants to hear about nor does he care about it your bad beat story. Meander down the WSOP halls at the Rio on a tourney break and all the conversations you overhear will involve how poorly someone played, how they got unlucky and how it's unreal how it happens time and time again. I see bad beats to horrible beats to impossible beats on a daily basis either playing backgammon or poker. While the backgammon turnarounds are typically larger (it's hard to be such a low percentage in poker) the poker beats sting more because all the money is generally in and it happens.

I thought it might be fun to keep a thread that anyone can add to at any time sharing any bad beat you want be it from backgammon, from poker, or from anything else in life where it fits the bad beat definition. Complain if you like, I will be posting them just for show and perhaps to help people realize it happens all the time...as it's supposed to.

I will share two here, one backgammon (position below), and one poker. I was playing 6 card PLO hi/lo the other day and I saw a guy get it in twice within' 10 minutes of each other, rather deep stacks, on the turn and drawing to one out. Neither of these hands were against me, thankfully, but I had never before seen someone hit a one outer twice in such a short period of time.

What made it worse is this guy had no business being in either hand. In one hand there was a clear as day nut flush being represented by the other player and bluffing is rare to say the least in PLO6. Still, this player a flush himself and wasn't letting go. They got it in and the he had a gut shot straight flush draw as his only out. Bink! He hits it. The odds of that happening are the same as throwing a specific double in backgammon (1/36).

After he binks that shortly after he gets it in again when he can only be behind. He has a set, the other guy has top set. Again, a one outer with one card to come. Pewpewpew! He hits again. Not being involved in the hands made it easy for me to root for the guy. He's the guy I want to win when I'm not involved in the pot because I want him to have money for when I get in a pot with him. (and hopefully he'll get it in and not hit his miracle card(s) against me)

We should note here too this is why the good player may become more frustrated than one might expect. See, a good player never has this good fortune come his way because the good player would never put himself in the spot to begin with. So he gets frustrated ... but he shouldn't be of course. That guy is going to lose all that money back and then some, that is your good fortune as the good player. Still, in the moment and short term, it can be an Ipad breaker.

As for the backgammon beat, it's not that bad considering really. I was playing XG the other day and got smashed in the position below. As the analysis says it's a 199-1 shot that XG wins from the shown position. What made it worse though is that XG won the race straight. That figure obviously includes luckily hitting a shot in the bear off which has to constitute some percentage of the .005%. I have lost bg positions (and especially matches) when I have achieved a position XG would round to 0%. From now on I'll add them here for shits and giggles.

White is Serious Play

score: 0
pip: 82
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 58
score: 0

Blue is auj
XGID=cBBCCBB--A--------------g-:2:-1:1:41:0:0:3:0:10
Blue to play 41

1.Rollout19/4eq: +0.987
Player:
Opponent:
99.46% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
0.54% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
Conf.: ± 0.001 (+0.986...+0.989)
Duration: 2.4 seconds
1 1296 Games rolled with Variance Reduction.
Dice Seed: 85067660
Moves: 3-ply, cube decisions: XG Roller

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.