[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opening Book

Posted By: Todd Kennedy
Date: Tuesday, 2 June 2020, at 5:02 a.m.

I was wondering what other backgammon players do to memorize their opening moves. I'm also a chess player and there is a lot of openings research and programs to help memorize through repeatedly playing through the moves.

I had at one time downloaded a bunch of rollouts (and I know about http://www.extremegammon.com/Openingbook.aspx) and started creating rules that I might actually be able to memorize. Here's an example (apologize if my nactation is not correct, I developed my own version that worked for me)

22 replies: PD for GG, UU for GS. For NJ and DMP:

If opp plays both dice to his side, then play PU

If opp doesn’t play both dice to his side, play PD Exceptions:

Against 53P you can’t play PU or UU, so PD for all

Against slots, hit by playing PR

Against 64R and splits to your 4pt, hit with PD

Against 64S you hit with R only at NJ and DMP (otherwise the normal PD/UU)

This requires some shortcuts to best play. For example, I believe PD is still correct against 61P and 52D. But, I have to compromise with my ability to memorize. I really only play matches hence the NJ is for neutral match scores like 7-away 7-away. One would have to "interpolate" between NJ and GG/GS for other match scores.

To clarify, I'm not asking for others to share their work, I'm just curious about how you approach the opening.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.