[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGO OLM (Online Match) -- Call for participation, please respond if you are interested

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Thursday, 28 September 2023, at 7:07 p.m.

A few days ago I made a post with a vague subject line which poorly communicated what I was after, and I hope that is the reason there was only one response (I saw yours, Frank Berger!). I am reposting with a better subject line.

If you are interested, please post a response.

In response to a suggestion from Timothy Chow, I want to gauge the interest in reviving the BGO OLM (Online Match).

Format in broad strokes: Two teams of roughly equal size play a match at the (approximate) pace of one move per day, no stakes... just for fun. When your team is on the clock, you cast a vote for your preferred play. At the end of a 24 hour period, I tally the votes and move the match along to the next move.

Your votes should be cast in a non-consulting manner, meaning that you should make your posts with a vote WITHOUT seeing what anybody else has voted for. After you have voted, you may read other posts and discuss freely.

My role: I establish the rules, moderate, roll out positions (and post said rollouts), post the positions each day, and settle arguments among the inmates. I will not be on a team. However, I will actively think about the backgammon positions and join in on discussions. I have an extensive resume of running an OLM, both on BGO and with the USBGF.

If this is going to fly, I want to see a minimum participation of 10 people (team sizes at least five) -- I doubt I would be interested in doing this with fewer. By signing up, let us say you are committing to participating at least half the time a vote comes up. Provided you check in a minimum of once every 24 hour period, you will not miss casting a meaningful vote. You can drop out whenever you like, although it is best to do so at the end of the match (barring that, at the end of a game). All skill levels welcome. This will be more interesting when errors get made.

As a matter of backgammon interest, I find the concept of the Hive Mind in backgammon to be fascinating. A group of backgammon players, none of whom might be even close to world class level, can, through their collective ability, play at an incredibly strong level.

JLee

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.