[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Variable optional pools

Posted By: Roland Scheicher
Date: Friday, 22 December 2023, at 12:08 p.m.

In https://ukbgf.com/the-newcomers-guide-to-side-pools/ I read about “variable optional pools”, but I could not find a satisfying explanation, thus I’d like to ask the experts in organizing bg tournaments:

How do “Variable optional pools” work?

I think this could be something like follows (inspired by the idea of several side pots which become necessary in a game of poker when more than one players go all-in at different levels):

>> Players are allowed to enter the variable optional pool with a stake of 10, or 20, or 30 $, as they wish, thus we have three levels, which produce three separate subpools, which I’d like to call A, B, and C.

Players, who wish to stake 30 $, stake 10 $ in each of the three subpools A, B, and C.

Players, who wish to stake 20 $, stake 10 $ in each of the subpools A and B.

And players, who wish to stake 10 $, stake these 10 $ in pool A.

(I assume that each of the pools should be made “Winner takes all”. Of course, they could be split 70-30, but I think the distribution would become too complicated.)

The payout is done independently for each of these three subpools: At first pool C goes to the player who advances farthest amongst the other competitors in pool C, then pool B is paid out in the same way, and A at last. <<

Is this correct? If yes, a variable optional pool is just a series of side pools, where you can enter either the lowest level (A), or the two lowest (A and B), or all three (A, B, and C), but you cannot enter B without entering A, and you cannot enter C without entering B and A as well.

Or am I entirely wrong? Do I miss something important?

The best wishes from Vienna, Austria

A merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Yours, Roland

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.