[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

XG rollouts on Amazon's cloud servers

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Tuesday, 16 January 2024, at 10:40 p.m.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for the BG community to explore the possibility of running XG in a powerful computing environment, like Amazon’s servers. So I asked three AI bots.

Here is my question, followed by the three responses responses: Can Microsoft Windows desktop applications run on Amazon Web Services?

- Bot 1 - Yes, Microsoft Windows desktop applications can run on Amazon Web Services (AWS) using various methods, including:

1. Amazon WorkSpaces: This is a managed service that provides cloud-based Windows desktops to users. You can bring your own Windows desktop licenses (BYOL) or use AWS-provided licenses.

2. Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances: You can launch EC2 instances with Windows Server installed and then install your desktop applications. This gives you more control over the configuration of your environment, but it also requires more management overhead.

3. Amazon AppStream 2.0: This is a streaming service that allows you to deliver Windows desktop applications to users without the need to install them on their devices. This can be a good option for applications that are used infrequently or that require high performance.

The best method for you will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you need a simple and easy-to-manage solution, Amazon WorkSpaces is a good option. If you need more control over your environment or you need high performance, Amazon EC2 instances or Amazon AppStream 2.0 may be a better choice.

- Bot 2 - Yes, Microsoft Windows desktop applications can run on Amazon Web Services (AWS).

AWS has been supporting Microsoft workloads for over 16 years, longer than any other cloud provider. AWS offers a reliable, secure, and proven cloud platform for Windows Server and SQL Server, with higher performance and reliability, greater security and identity services, more migration support, the broadest and deepest capabilities, lower total cost of ownership, and flexible licensing options.

AWS supports everything you need to build and run Windows applications including Active Directory, .NET, Microsoft SQL Server, Windows desktop-as-a-service, and all supported versions of Windows Server. With AWS’s expertise, you can easily lift-and-shift, refactor, or even modernize your Windows workload. Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed, secure cloud desktop service that allows you to provision either Windows or Linux desktops in just a few minutes and quickly scale to provide thousands of desktops to workers across the globe.

In addition, desktop-as-a-service (DaaS) is a high-performing, secure, cost-effective type of desktop virtualization that frees businesses from tethering their computer operating systems and productivity software to any physical hardware. Instead, businesses can use DaaS to access virtual desktops over the internet from a cloud provider.

- Bot 3 - Yes, it's possible to run Microsoft Windows desktop applications on Amazon Web Services (AWS) using different services and solutions provided by AWS.

AWS offers a service called Amazon WorkSpaces, which allows you to create virtual Windows desktops in the cloud. These WorkSpaces can run Windows applications, giving users the ability to access them remotely via a client application installed on their local devices. Additionally, AWS AppStream 2.0 is another service that enables you to stream desktop applications securely from the cloud to a web browser on various devices. It allows you to run Windows applications without the need for users to install them locally. By leveraging these services, you can host and run your Windows desktop applications on AWS, enabling remote access and usage from different locations and devices.

= Follow-Up = I then went to Amazon Web Services and chatted with a representative. Here is the response. Looks like it may be worth a try.

Thank you for the information, for a project at that scale I'd recommend looking into free tier and reaching out to them there https://aws.amazon.com/free

Free tier is a 12 month program at AWS where you can try solutions free within limitations.

= Video = I then did some googling and came up with a video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfbfyMhpj7I

What say you who are technically competent?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.