[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Improved gnubg filenaming convention - suggestion

Posted By: Sebalotek
Date: Thursday, 18 January 2024, at 10:56 a.m.

Is the way gnubg names files something that just I find sub-optimal, or is it fine for everybody else?

I imagine like many of us, some days, I will play multiple matches (5-10) against gnubg backgammon. I like to analyse and save each of them afterwards

When I click save, by default, it auto names the file with the following convention:

gnubg–profilename_matchlength_yyyy-mm-dd

like.. gnubg–skope_5p_2024-01-18.sgf

I then click Save.

I might then play another match, analyse it and then try and save it

Unfortunately, it then tries to save with exactly the same naming convention

gnubg–profilename_matchlength_yyyy-mm-dd

gnubg–skope_5p_2024-01-18.sgf

Of course, this leads to a file name clash and an error message is presented each and every time:

File "\gnubg–profilename_matchlength_yyyy-mm-dd.sgf" exists. Overwrite?

To propose a relatively 'easy' solution to this, I think it would make better sense to add an hour-minute timestamp to the existing file name convention?

i.e.

"\gnubg–profilename_matchlength_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm.sgf

That way one could save multiple matches played the same day without repeatedly encountering the error message and the need to manually rename each saved match file to something unique.

In addition, for a cherry on top, it would be even better if the error rate for each analysed match was also appended to the file name i.e. -4.3 or -8.5 or whatever. This could allow for even easier searching and filtering/foldering of match files with blunders for retrospective study on each user's PC

To make it clearer -

Old style filename: gnubg–skope_5p_2024-01-18.sgf

vs

New style auto-unique filename: gnubg–skope_5p_2024-01-18_17-05_4.3.sgf

I'll admit, the proposed file name convention is longer and perhaps less 'readable' but the benefit is it contains more valuable information, adds utility and is unique.

Who is the best person in the bg community to speak to in order to give this feature request the best chance of being implemented please?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.