[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Variant

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 12 March 2024, at 9:41 p.m.

There are endless variants floating about and a lot of them are interesting. I usually don't end up playing them because for the most part they are wildly time consuming. I'd rather be playing regular backgammon and getting in far more games than something out of interest and playing like 3 games an hour.

One variant I've used scarcely in lessons that I've always thought, if refined, might be mildly interesting in practice and not take too much longer than regular backgammon is second best backgammon. (I don't have a real name for it obv, we can call it Stickgammon if needed for reference) Probably meant for money games only though I haven't given it much thought to adapt for potential match play. Best when played player v. player on a computer. (though if recorded could always be input and settled later)

The idea is simple, you're never allowed to make what the computer deems as the best play. In other words, you're constantly trying to find the second best play. If you do ever end up making the best play you incur a penalty. To keep it simple I would say pay a point to the other player. (though they would be few and far between there would actually be positions that arise where you should make the best play and pay a point rather than making the second best play)

It's not a complicated variant and I'm sure many have had the thought of it but I've never seen it put to paper so if someone else claims credit they can have it.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.