[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Dirk Schiemann is German for ...

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 8 April 2024, at 8:59 p.m.

Dirk the man! Apparently Dirk has become the second player to achieve Super Grandmaster status as a BMAB title. Let me mention up front that I don't really follow BMAB stuff so if I get details wrong it would be of no surprise, correct it and move along.

BMAB Titles

Mochy was the first to do it, shockingly, and now we have two people within' a certain amount of experience who were able to average between 2 - 2.5 (~2.3). I remember not too many years ago when a lot of people were in the camp of nobody would ever be able to play a 2 PR. From memory, and I'm too lazy to search the forums and find the actual threads so if someone else feels the need, please do, I was of the firm belief that it was certainly attainable. I'd imagine most people know would see it as a real possibility since we have come so much closer to it and have so many more players playing under a 3.

The issue I had at the time, and I figured why not bring it up again, is that there's no real motivation to do so. That's the biggest sticking point. Perhaps it's a me only thing but at this point the last thing I'd want to do is grind out all the work, and it is a lot of work, to whittle down from whatever reasonably low PR one is all the way to a 2. There's no money in it. It will hardly improve your winning chances in games/matches and your time could certainly be spent, for lack of a better word, better.

I will also mention at this point Dirk's YouTube Channel. It recently got rave reviews from Wilcox. Unfortunately for a lot of us I believe everything is in German. While I may be able to order a drink or count up to 20 I'm in no shape to try to understand a German backgammon video. Still, I'd take Wilcox's word for it so if you do, enjoy. If you don't and you really want to watch them and understand them I'm sure there's some app somewhere that will translate for you.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.