[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

*** Off Topic *** Excel base 10 exponential trendline

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Monday, 29 April 2024, at 11:42 p.m.

By labeling this post as "off topic", I hope not to break forum norms by posting an off topic question.

In Microsoft Excel, we can fit a series of data points to a "trendline", which can be linear, exponential, polynomial or a couple of others.

The exponential trendline takes the form y=ae^bx, where e is the natural log function base. Excel calculates the best fit values for a and b.

Instead of fitting to a trendline using base e, I would like to fit the data to base 10, i.e., y=c10^ix.

When i is relatively small, it will be roughly close to be in value. So, for example, if I have a series that grows at a 5% rate, Excel's b will be 0.0488; if at 10%, b will be 0.0953.

I prefer to fit the data to the base 10 trendline so I get the actual percent rate, i.

My Algebra 2 is rusty, so I have not figured out a way to convert from one to the other. The goal is to let Excel calculate b and then convert it to the corresponding i.

I will appreciate your help in figuring out the conversion. Thanks in advance.

Leo

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.