[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Monte Carlo 2009

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 17 July 2008, at 1:20 a.m.

Howard Markowitz has the unenviable task of restoring the Monte Carlo "World Championship" to a tournament worthy of the name.

Some tournament schedule changes, for the better, were implemented this year.

The tournament structure was changed this year, for the better, by changing the consolation and last chance tournaments to a progressive format.

Other changes are necessary. We should all convey our thoughts to Howard. My suggestions include:

1) All matches should be clocked. Reasonable settings on Bronstein clocks could facilitate adherence to the tournament schedule and could provide balance between the very fast and the very slow players -- perhaps not perfectly satisfying either, but also not adversely penalizing either. To those not familiar with playing with a clock, ample time is available to do so prior to attending the tournament. It is ONLY the 'World Championship'. Another ancillary benefit to playing with a clock is the fact that a single set of dice is used -- thus, no fast rolls and no dispute over what the roll was (as occurs when a player snatches up his dice quickly).

2) All key matches -- at a minimum, quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals in the main and finals in the larger jackpots -- should be videorecorded for publication and documentation purposes. I think this is important for the promotion of the game and for the credibility of the game. Also, videorecording of matches serves as a deterrent to illegal play and behavior -- a reviewable record exists. The technology exists and is easy to implement. Perhaps Sony, JVC, Hitachi or other similar company would like to be an official sponsor and provide cameras for the tournament. Videorecording every match should be a goal.

3) I think serious consideration should be given to making the quarterfinals, semi-finals, and finals, at a minimum, a best of three matches to nine points format. Knowledge and implementation of match equities, game theory, and the like are extremely important aspects of match play backgammon. A single twenty-five point match, as currently utilized in the finals, is hardly a fitting test of all aspects of backgammon. A best of three of shorter match format would bring the entire range of skills more prevalently into the contest.

4) Some balance needs to be established between the tournament attendance, the time requirements to participate, and the expense to participate. Monte Carlo is one of the most expensive locales in the world and 8-9 days, minimum, must be allotted to participate. Doubtlessly, the promoters and the venue require a certain profit for their efforts. However, economies of scale no doubt exist. Were the costs halved would the attendance double? I don't know, but there is certainly a correlation. Can not arrangements be made with a range of hotels to help accommodate those on more limited budgets?

I love the Monte Carlo venue; however, perhaps consideration should be given to rotating the tournament among 3 or 4 varied cities to provide more equal access -- both geographically and financially -- to backgammon players worldwide. Candidate cities could include Monte Carlo, Copenhagen, London, Paris, Tokyo, NYC, and Las Vegas. I'm sure there are others.

5) In my two years of attendance at Monte Carlo ('06 and '07) I was amazed at the poor quality of the boards used for tournament play. They are inexpensive molded plastic with glue-in cork insert playing surfaces -- and these are not always smooth and/or centered. I played the Partouche tournament in Cannes last year and the boards were considerably better -- (they also clocked every match). I think providing boards of consistent and reasonable quality is not too much to anticipate of our world championship.

6) Many of the above measures would make cheating and other such behavior more difficult and, when occurring, easier to confirm and police. Severe penalties for cheating should be made known and vigorously enforced. The episodes of the 2007 and 2008 tournaments test the very credibility of the title World Champion.

As a verbose and opinionated guy, I'm sure I'll come up with other suggestions. I think we all have an obligation to contribute to the continuing success and development of OUR game -- and of OUR World Championship Tournament.

I think Howard is fair-minded and will listen to all valid suggestions -- not all will be accepted, but I'm confident all will be heard. It will not be easy to institute all of the necessary changes and it will be difficult to convince, through marketing, backgammon players that the structural changes made to the tourney and that the procedural/policy changes made to the execution and prosecution of the resultant tourney will result in a better, fairer test worthy of the title World Championship.

I think Howard is up to the challenge.

I think we all need to help. With our input, with our support, and with our attendance.

Should the changes continue and the progress be evident, I will definitely make every effort to attend the tournament again next year.

I think everyone who can should also do so.

Regards to all, Bill

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.