[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

tidbits from Cannes

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Monday, 28 July 2008, at 7:00 p.m.

1) There was a big fuckup from the organizers regarding the board in my match with Gus. A wrong panel was used making the 6 and 7 points the same color. They took a TV timeout at score of 8 - 2 and fixed it. If the match is "joined in progress" at that score for the TV telecast now you know why.

2) Someone mentioned about Tassilo having a small fit and throwing his water bottle. I did not witness it but at least one fact is incorrect. It WAS a water bottle (past tense). In Tassilo's hands it became a beer bottle.

3) I was interviewed at least different times for a few minutes each time. (Before the final 4 match, before the finals, after the finals, before the Monday games started, and after each Monday match. A few before matches on Monday also I think. I don't know if they will all make the telecast. The first was stiff but the others went very well I think. The lady kept trying to get me excited but I stayed unflappable. One amusing moment was when I demonstrated how I slap my face to get alert. She asked if I could show it again and I said, um, no.

4) Gus was scheduled to be the commentator but obvisouly couldn't for the Sunday final. He traditionally gives the golden cube prize and when he gave it to me I said that I had declined some of his cubes but would now gladly accept.

5) When asked how I was feeling after the Sunday victory I said I felt like I had a lot of fun and wnated to thank many people. My parents for raising me smart and my dad who taught me the game when I was 5. Ed O Laughlin who convinced me to give Europe a try. David Montgomery and Chris Yep who were my study partners when I first started playing. Many people on discussion boards who give free advice including Stick and Neil.

6) Had makeup put on for the Sunday match for TV

7) The Sunday game against Gus ended about 2 AM. We were told to be there for the Monday games by 10 30 AM for 11AM start and I didn1t sleep much. They actaully got started about 1:30pm. The sweet 16 finals ended at 3AM

8) When I first met Gus I introduced myself and said "Hello, I am Bob Koca. Sorry but I don't hedge."

9) That is not quite true. In the round of 8 for Riviera cup I hedged 2000 Euros but none in semis or finals. For Monday tourney I offered to hedge a few thousand in the round of 8 and was refused. In round of 4, Falafel sent out a feeler for a hedge and then I think he went to see if he could get a bet in at favorable odds and then we later agreed to a 5000 hedge. For Monday final Andrieu offered to make it 50 and 90 instead of 40 and 100 and feeling I was significantly better declined. (His first match for example the luck adjustment gave his opponent 104 % win chance, that got quite a chuckle when Steen who was snowieing on the spot announded that in the Green room)

10) We had already told TD of the hedge (and it would be reflected in check) but just for my records I wrote it on the scoresheet. The scoresheet wasn't really necessary as the score was kept electronically on the clock but I wanted to keep my normal routine as much as possible. Eric didn't want it to possibly show up on camera so I turned the scoresheet over. I suppose it is better for TV audience to have the illusion that the full amount is actually being played for.

I'll have some comments on plays later.

Bob Koca

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.