[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Miscellaneous olympics comments/ questions

Posted By: bob koca
Date: Saturday, 16 August 2008, at 7:29 p.m.

1) from http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/insidethissport/special2/newsid=101956.html#strokes

"During the 10k competition, each athlete must wear a wristband known as a transponder, which is linked to the timing and results system. Athletes can be disqualified for pacing, slip-streaming, walking or jumping, or finishing without their transponder"

The 10k swim race is an open water race. What does it mean to jump?

2) From http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/insidethissport/rules/newsid=113319.html#track+sprintshurdles+rules

"If a sprinter commences his or her starting motion from the set position before the Starter's gun is fired, it is deemed a false start. The first false start of a race results in a warning to the offending runner, but any athlete in that race who thereafter commits a false start will be disqualified."

So there is no penalty for taking a shot. Also note that any athlete who disagrees with the rule and thinks a first false start should be a disqualification can effectively unilaterally make it that way by intentionally false starting immediately after the set call.

3) In the 200m butterfly Phelps won by .01 seconds. The 2nd place finisher was caught between strokes and chose to glide in. Phelps also was somewhat caught between strokes and took a non complete stroke. The 2nd place finisher was reaching with both hands. Would it have been legal to reach with just one. This gives slightly more reach but I wonder if it is a stroke violation.

4) It is astounding to me that NBC is not showing the evening telecast live to the west cosat.

5) (Not really olympics but while on sports it is one of my rants). When running to first base occasionally you see a runner dive head first. Nearly always an announcer will say how it is not smart. I disagree with that assessment. When arguing about it many will ask why sprinters don't ever dive across the finish line. Ridiculous. First of all the rules for sprinting deals with whose torso reaches first. Secondly they are reaching a plane whereas the base runner must actually touch the spot in the ground. Think of an outfielder who has just made a great diving catch. Suppose the rules were that instead of catching the ball he only needed to touch it with his foot before it hit the ground. Could he have done so? What does you answer to that question say about diving to first base?

Bob Koca

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.