[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Poker Question - How to play Heads Up NL Hold'em

Posted By: pfeifrot
Date: Thursday, 21 August 2008, at 1:05 p.m.

Let's say I play Heads Up NL Hold'em against a real pro, who has a perfect read on my strategy and will exploit every hole - let's call him Stick. Both Stick and I have a stack of 1,000,000 chips. Stick is the BB (2 chips), I am the SB (1 chip) and the button. Pre flop, I am first to act.

1) With what cards should I raise and by how much?

1a) Should the size of the raise depend on the cards I hold? I'd say that it should depend on the cards I hold, though not in a deterministic manner. Some scheme like raising to 6, 7 or 8 chips (the better the hand the more likely one of the higher raises) should be better than always raising to 7.

1b) What is the highest amount I should ever raise to? I guess that this is somewhere between 8 and 20 chips. But this really is only a gut feeling without reasonable data to back this up.

1c) Should I ever just call?

2) Does the answer to the first question change if we had bigger or smaller stacks? I think it will not change (by much) if we increase the stacks. But it obviously will change if we decrease the stacks by much.

2a) Is there a maximum stack size, so that it makes no difference at all if it was any higher? I am not sure about this one, since there might be an unlimited number of raises in each betting round. If we would limit the number of raises of each betting round to - say - five, I would be pretty sure, that there was a maximum stack size of that kind.

2b) What qualitative effect would a decreased stack size of 100 or 200 have on opening raises? I don't really have a clue, but I guess that the maximum size of the opening raise is not affected by much, but that there is a quite big effect on the relative strength of some hole cards, though I do not know for which cards and in what direction.

3) How does the answer to the first question change, if we changed the rules, so that the SB is not the button and therefore out of position in all betting rounds? I guess that the maximum size of a raise will be decreases by quite a bit, but again, I do not really have a clue.

4) What about bet sizes after the first decision?

4a) For the BB after the SB raised to 6?

4b) For the BB after the SB raised to 7?

4c) For the BB after the SB raised to 8?

4d) For the SB after the BB called the raise to 6 and checked after the flop?

4e) For the SB after the BB called the raise to 7 and checked after the flop?

4f) For the SB after the BB called the raise to 8 and checked after the flop?

These questions obviously are theoretic or even scientific in nature. Especially I do not want to consider any kind of playing the opponent. Rather, I assume perfect play - not designed to win, but designed not to lose even if your opponent exactly knows your strategy.

Of course I know, that the real answer to all the questions is that I never should compete with Stick in the first place - be it poker or girls. But hey, just in case. All your thoughts are appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.