[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Barring Players from ABT Events

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 27 August 2008, at 9:46 p.m.

I wasn't in Ft. Lauderdale, so I have no personal knowledge of the events surrounding Elayne Feinstein's 'barring' of Ray Fogerlund from events she directs. I have only reads the discussions on this forum.

However, I think it sets extremely bad and precarious precedent for an individual tournament director to be able to unilaterally ban a player from any ABT event, particularly for what appears to be petty, personal grievances. Maybe Ray was a jerk and an a-hole, maybe Elayne was overly sensitive and over-reacted -- I don't know and have no way of knowing. But it certainly appears the 'feud' was incidental to the tournament and did not involve backgammon tournament play in any way.

If someone is to be banned from any and/or all ABT events I think it should require the action of several disinterested (to the causal effect) directors and/or ABT representatives. I'm confident if someone does something egregious enough there will be no problem in reaching such a ruling; however, one person/director should not have that authority.

I'm a hard line kind of guy so I would have no problem with someone being banned for life for things like hitting/choking an opponent or giving a tae-kwondo head kick to the face of a director for an adverse ruling. Ban someone for a tournament or two for a stomping, screaming, cursing, cup/dice throwing tantrum. But let's have a little due process and take individual personalities and grievances out of the procedure. Refusing to pay for someone's dinner!!!!???? ....... come on, give me a break.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.