[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A "new" idea (?)

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Friday, 5 September 2008, at 12:43 p.m.

Dan Pelton sent Neil and I an email asking our advice on how to run a tournament. He would [eventually] like to have one in Arizona someday. Perhaps it is best to open up this question to all BGO'ers?

While answering this email I got to thinking about it and my question is:

What ever happened to single elimination, progressive consolation???

The most common ABT event of today is the double elimination prog. consolation event... and if you have ever looked at the draw sheet you can see how complicated it is. I guess people like the idea of losing once and still having a chance to win, (albeit an infinitessimal one).

The recent Modified Swiss event in Wisconsin was, in effect, a TRIPLE elimination event. Looking at the number of posts and seemingly unfair paradoxes it created makes me long for something more simple.

How about if the guy with NO losses wins the tournament?

The guy with one loss comes in second?

The draw sheet is simpler.

When you lose you drop into the consolation, and play some survivor from an earlier loss...

MUCH more simple drawsheets than LA, my home club, for instance.

FURTHER: As Chuck Bower suggested recently. Let the COMPUTER do the draw.

Post the computer printout of that draw up front and THEN do the big master draw sheet. WHILE the first round is being PLAYED.

That way you are not waiting for some Seventy something old lady to cut out sticky names and paste them on a big sheet of paper when you want to PLAY.

Have a few clocks and use them when either player requests it. Simple, fast, done. Hard to beat, I think.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.