[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposal for new tournament format, partly "stolen" from Bridge team tournaments.(Warning: Long)

Posted By: Ivar Røynstrand
Date: Tuesday, 21 October 2008, at 5:12 p.m.

Well, first of all i don't know if this format is new or not. At least I have not seen anybody else propose it before.

I propose to arrange tornaments like this, quick overview:

* Monrad format

* Money game. The points you win are later converted into VP(stolen from Bridge team tournaments). This is done to reduce the effect of a very big win in one match.

* Every player plays a certain time against the same opponent before moving on to his next opponent.

* Clocks used, Bronstein rules.

So how does it work in practice:

We play Monrad, and let the best players advance to a traditional cup at the end, two day tournament:

Day one: The first day we want to play 7 matches, each lasting one hour. 45 min effective play, games that are started after 45 minutes are allowed to be finished but no new games are started after 45 minutes. The score for each match, just like normal money game. After the match this is converted to VP, something like this:

Winner VP.......Looser VP........Point from....Point to

25......................0....................100..................Up

So, if the score is tied, both players will get 15 VP. If a player gets 25 points more than his opponent he gets 19 VP, while his opponent gets 11 VP. One player can not get more than 25 points, but the looser can get 0 point.. This scale presented here are randomly choosen(It is the VP scale for a 32 boards match from Bridge), and obviously will have to be adjusted to fit backgammon.

The second day of the tournament could be played normal cup with semifinals and finals.

Some advantages:

* Much eaiser to get a good timeschedule for a tournament.

* Easier to separate players, players with tied scores will be less frequent.

* More games for every player.

* A few (small)early losses does not mean that you cannot win or at least get a good result.

Disadvantages:

* Possibility for collusion in the later rounds of the tournament.(Therefore i think that this should only be used for the qualifying rounds of the tornament, the later rounds are better played as cup IMO).

* Players could be playing on the results in other matches toward the end of the tournament.

*What to do if a player looses on time. I propose to award his opponent a maximum win 25-0, but that might be to hard.

This is just some vague ideas I have of how a tournament could be arranged. Obviously there are lots of details that have to be looked at before this could be used. I think a small scale test in a weekly tournament would be best, to correct some of the faults that this system has. I don't think this was well worded, but I hope that at least those who have played Bridge understand what I mean.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.